Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Kings of War: Dwarf Test Lists

by SandWyrm


Farmpunk and I are set to do some test games for Kings of War tonight using my (very) old (mostly) GW Dwarf collection. Rather than simply split the units I have evenly, I figured I'd make things more interesting by pitting one style of play against another.

I've got a few things in the old collection that I can't use in KoW, like my Bolt Throwers and Gyrocopters; but the vast majority of what I have is usable. Of course I never bought the (IMO) stupid GW 'Anvil of Doom'. Which is probably why I lost so much. :)

Anyhow, here's tonight's contenders:


In the first corner, we have a very straightforward assault build led by an angry Dwarven King. Berserkers, Shield Breakers with Double-Handed Axes/Hammers, and a unit of Ironguard elites.
    Infantry
150    Shieldbreakers Regiment (20) w/Banner, Musician
150    Shieldbreakers Regiment (20) w/Banner, Musician
165    Ironguard Regiment (20) w/Banner, Musician
205    Berserkers Regiment (20) w/Banner, Musician

    Heroes/Monsters
130    King

Total: 800 Points
In the left corner, we have the shooty rebels. With 2 war machines, 3 units of handgunners, a large unit of crossbowmen (Bugman's Rangers, on right), and one unit of Ironguard elites. All led by a Warsmith (makes the war engines elite), and an army standard bearer to inspire everyone.
    Infantry
95    Ironwatch Troop (10) w/Banner, Musician, Rifles
95    Ironwatch Troop (10) w/Banner, Musician, Rifles
80    Ironwatch Troop (10) w/Rifles
145    Ironwatch Regiment (20) w/Banner, Musician
165    Ironguard Regiment (20) w/Banner, Musician

    War Engines
70    Ironbelcher Cannon
70    Ironbelcher Organ Gun

    Heroes/Monsters
50    Warsmith
30    Army Standard Bearer

Total: 800 Points
So it's MSU shooty vs. elite assault. It'll be an interesting test of the game's balance. My money is on the MSU build, but that's me talking from a 40K perspective. We'll see what happens. :)

7 comments:

  1. You could always use the bolt thrower as a cannon or organ gun for these tests. Gyrocopter might be harder to find a spot for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that, but you're limited to one warmachine and hero per 20-man unit. So the shooty build is already maxed out. And I don't have any more infantry to balance adding guns to the assault build.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dwarves lower movement gives the shooty army the advantage. If the King can get a charge off he will be cutting through units.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've picked up the boxes for this many times in my local store, but never seen anybody use it. I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor slow Dwarf warriors are the best possible opponent for a gunline!
    Hopefully you can try out some of the other race's statlines to get a broader view of performance. Good luck - I'm interested to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we both enjoyed it.

    The shooty army was at a great advantage. I think the Chaos Dwarves would be brutal with their breath weapons, and mortars.

    not having to worry about LoS and cover = awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NM. I looked at the Chaos shooting skill sucks. Breath weapons might be nice.

    ReplyDelete

out dang bot!

Recent Favorites

All-Time Favorites